Do-it-yourself home improvement projects can be tempting for homeowners. After all, renovations are costly. Performing repairs, installations, or remodeling work on your own can seem like the perfect way to save money. But as the handymen at ANDY OnCall® Tampa can tell you, a DIY home improvement project is nothing to take lightly.
There are all kinds of problems that Tampa homeowners run into when they perform handyman projects on their own. DIY projects can result in substandard work, pose serious safety risks, and transform thrifty ideas into budget black holes. If things go poorly, you could be on the hook for the costs of your DIY work plus an even higher bill for repairs from a licensed Tampa handyman.
So, before you get started on a major DIY project, here are eight questions that can help you avoid major DIY home improvement mistakes…
Questions to Help Avoid DIY Mistakes
- What are the real costs of the project? Budgets on DIY projects can easily get out of hand, so it’s important that you know the real costs of your project. Account for the cost of materials, the cost of any equipment you’ll need to buy or rent, and the cost of your own time. It’s usually best to give yourself a generous margin for error on this estimate, since you might underestimate costs or run into problems that require additional funds to fix.
- Will this project add enough value to my home? Homeowners want a strong return on investment for most home improvement projects. Before starting work, check whether or not the project is likely to add value, do your research on the best ways to maximize that value, and consider how DIY risks could impact that value or put it at risk.
- Do I need a permit for this project? Many homeowners start work on DIY projects without checking to see if they need a permit. If you are performing non-cosmetic handyman work on your home, you will need a permit from the city of Tampa and/or Hillsborough County. This includes any roofing work, siding or stucco work, windows or door replacements, work on electrical, gas, irrigation, mechanical, and/or plumbing systems, and any construction projects.
- Is this project potentially dangerous? Any home improvement project comes with certain dangers, but some projects are particularly dangerous. In particular, homeowners should never attempt structural, electrical, plumbing, roofing, or glass work without a professional’s help.
- How will this impact other areas of my house? One of the most common DIY mistakes is failing to think through the impact a project will have on your home as a whole. Will design changes work with the aesthetic of your home? Will construction work damage supports or systems important to other areas of your house? Make sure you’re confident the answer to these questions is “no” before starting work.
- Will my insurance cover injury or damage? Handymen in Tampa are required to carry insurance and bonding. This protects their clients against financial liability in the event of injury or damage caused by home renovations. Few home insurance policies cover injury or damage caused by DIY work. Check your policy to make sure you’re fully aware of the possible risks.
- Do I have the materials, tools, and skills for the job? Home improvement projects require the right tools, the right materials, and the right skills. While some projects are generally safe for DIYers, most demand a significant investment of time and money to develop the skills you need and purchase the necessary materials and equipment. Don’t assume that you’ll become an overnight expert, and don’t try to make do with substandard materials or tools.
- Would a licensed Tampa handyman be a better option? When it comes to your home, you never want to take chances. If you’re unsure whether or not you can handle a DIY project, it’s always a better idea to contact a licensed Tampa handyman. At ANDY OnCall Tampa, we’re more than happy to provide a free, no-obligation estimate for any handyman project you need performed. Our experienced craftsman, by-the-job pricing, and one-year written warranty make us the ideal handyman service for home improvement projects in the Tampa area.
Contact ANDY OnCall Tampa at (813) 961-2600 today to get a free, no-obligation estimate on handyman services in Tampa, FL.