Most major renovations and interior repairs involve installing new drywall. While drywall itself is inexpensive, trying to save on installation costs can sometimes mean substandard labor. The wrong contractor or a DIY installation can mean holes, gaps, cracks, or even more serious issues.
As Tampa’s trusted handyman service, the team at ANDY OnCall® knows a thing or two about proper drywall installation. Here are some of the most common drywall problems we’ve seen on handyman service calls in the Tampa area, along with how you can get these issues fixed after a bad installation.
Common Drywall Installation Problems
At ANDY OnCall, we’ve seen a range of drywall installation issues — big and small. Some of these issues are caused by simple DIY errors, while others happened due to contractors cutting corners, rushing work, or not paying enough attention to detail. Some of the most common drywall problems our Tampa handyman service has fixed include:
- Wall Pops. If there’s a nail, screw, or object pressing against the back of your drywall, it can end up popping through and punching a hole in your wall. Fixing this issue means removing the object in question and patching the damage.
- Overcuts. Mistakes in measurements before cutting drywall can lead to unsightly gaps and holes, especially around areas like wall outlets. These areas need to be filled, cut, and sanded, or may require a new section of drywall.
- Nail or Screw Holes. Misjudging where a nail or screw belongs can lead to holes where they shouldn’t be. These areas are usually easy to fill or patch.
- Bubbled Tape. If tape is misapplied or bubbles up during installation, the result can be an obvious eyesore. Removing bubbled tape requires carefully cutting away the problem section of tape. After removal, the area can be patched and re-sanded.
- Small Cracks. Small cracks are generally easy to repair with simple patching. In some cases, they indicate poorly cut or measured drywall, which might require removing and replacing sections of your wall.
- Large Cracks, Splits, or Gaps. Major damage usually requires removing and replacing a full section of drywall. This work is usually as difficult, if not more, than the original installation and should be done by an experienced handyman or craftsman.
Call on Tampa’s Trusted Handyman
If you need to fix a problem with a recent drywall installation, you can rely on Tampa’s trusted handyman service to do the job right. When you choose ANDY OnCall Tampa Bay, our handymen will be happy to inspect the issue and provide you with a complete work and materials estimate. After our work, no one will ever know your wall needed fixing in the first place.
Call Tampa’s trusted handyman service today at (813) 961-2600 to schedule your free in-person estimate.